If you are a talented and experienced Software Engineer who is looking for a challenging and rewarding career, then Capital One is the perfect place for you. Apply today!
Capital One is a leading financial services company that is always looking for talented and innovative people to join its team. If you are a Staff Software Engineer with experience in DevOps, cloud infrastructure, and automation, then Capital One would like to hear from you.
Staff Software Engineer, Engineering Enablement
Job ID R169819 Location Toronto, Ontario
161 Bay Street (93021), Canada, Toronto,Toronto, Ontario,
We’re searching for engaged and motivated people as Staff Software Engineers for our Engineering Enablement team. We want someone who has a passion for making engineers’ lives better.
As a Capital One Staff Software Engineer, you’ll bring your software engineering experience and communication skills to work with your team, adjacent teams, people leaders, and product owners to build great products. You will have an opportunity to work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications, to highly-available RESTful and streaming microservices, to cloud infrastructure and automation that removes sludge from the system. As the teams’ tech and business Subject Matter Expert, you’ll use your expertise to help unblock your team, troubleshoot complex outages, design and develop code and architect for maintainability, and resilience, model and advocate engineering excellence, and perform the “glue” work necessary to keep your teams effective.
Our Capital One Software Studio.
Since 2014, Capital One Canada’s software studio has grown from a team of 10 to a team of over 270. We’re passionate about what we do, and we’re always on the lookout for people who want to make a difference in the world of credit through technology. We’re obsessed with doing the right thing, and we achieve that by finding innovative ways to better serve our customers.
Working with us.
How do we do things at Capital One Canada? We listen — to our people, and to our customers. We change with the times and have adopted a flexible hybrid model (remote and/or in-office). A flexible hybrid working model is one that creates the opportunity to match the work that we do to the environment that best supports that work. We recognize that everyone has a unique working pattern so we’re open to discussing flexible working arrangements that will best accommodate you.
At Capital One we’re committed to diversity, inclusion and belonging. We strive to build a culture where diverse perspectives are valued, innovative ideas are encouraged and inclusive behaviors are embedded in everything we do to positively impact associates. Strive to build a culture where diverse perspectives are valued, innovative ideas are encouraged and to help challenge the status quo and create the best outcomes for everyone.
We’re focused on helping associates live well—physically, financially and emotionally. When you join us, we support you and those who are most important to you, offering full coverage for spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. We’ve designed our benefits program to be flexible, comprehensive and consistent across our organization. From health and fitness center discounts, to training and professional development programs—and much more—you’ll discover that Capital One is committed to helping you live your best life.
A Day in the life of a Staff Software Engineer for Engineering Enablement
At Capital One, we do DevOps differently, our team sees our goal as empowering our feature teams to deliver well-engineered and well-managed solutions by automating away the goo. Our team helped build the CI/CD framework that’s become the standard for the entire engineering organization. Our team builds tools with Developer Experience at their heart and that software quality and craftsmanship forms the foundation of anything we build. We advocate for best practices across the Canada division and the Enterprise at large. We design solutions together and consider everyone’s input regardless of title. For a small team we have a big impact while remembering to have fun!
What we build.
Here are a few ways we’re helping people take control of their credit:
- Helping customers view and monitor their credit scores with Credit Keeper
- Enabling customers to view and edit their Personal Information directly in the Mobile App
- Providing customers 100% certainty which credit cards they’ll be approved for before they apply, by using Quick Check™
We’re all-in on the cloud and we’re leaders in the adoption of open source, RESTful APIs, microservices, and containers. We build our own products and release them with a speed and agility that allows us to get new customer experiences to market quickly. And, as a founder-led company, we’re inspired to make, break, do, and do good. So, let’s do something great together.
Want to learn more? Check out life at Capital One in the Software Studio!
- Build strong relations with people leads and business partners to bridge the gap between the customer needs and technology solutions, and work to influence the strategic direction.
- Influence and have broad technical impact across your team and adjacent teams. Help build and implement the principles and standards for your teams.
- Mentor individuals on the team in their technical development.
- Apply judgment to “tie break”, assess tradeoffs, and work closely with architecture, compliance, etc to make pragmatic technical decisions. Take a long term perspective to build it to be future friendly.
- Inspire diversity of thought, inject optimism, and build psychological safety in your teams.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and contribute to InnerSource projects, guide teams to avoid reinventing the wheel where applicable, and advocate reuse.
- Be a SME on the platforms you work with, understand the software cycle end to end and be the primary escalation point or wayfinder for your teams’ technical blockers.
- Actively identify and lead complex, team and cross team initiatives, while providing holistic status updates to stakeholders.
- Actively participate in recruiting efforts, maintaining a high bar for engineering talent.
- Design and build tools with a strong focus on developer experience, engineering excellence and software craftsmanship.
- Take our Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery practice to the next level by leveraging and building on OSS tools that run in the Cloud.
- Automate away routine and repetitive tasks with well written and well tested tools.
- Advocate, mentor, and level up DevOps best practices with the engineers you support through empathy and good communication skills. Teaching them to fish, not just giving them fish.
- Support the continued professionalization of the engineering practice in the studio with effective communication and advocacy in public speaking, presentations, documentation, etc.
- Provide support for the Canada engineering teams by troubleshooting and resolving software, pipeline, and infrastructure related issues with an eye to automating those issues away.
- Help us advocate and expand software resiliency, secure coding practices, and chaos engineering.
- Explore and evaluate new and emerging software tools, technologies, and practices.
- Be a part of a Community of Practices to drive the innovation and standards strategy forward.
- At least 6 years of experience building high quality software following software engineering best practices (well tested, CI/CD pipelines, SOLID principles, built with maintainability and extensibility in mind).
- At least 6 years of experience creating and automating multi-tier infrastructure stacks that are well tested and resilient.
- At least 6 years of experience working in a continuous integration and continuous delivery environment.
- At least 6 years of experience working in a team environment, understanding the importance of mutual respect, empathy, and ensuring everyone’s voice is heard and problems are brought up early and often.
- Desire to make engineers’ lives better.
- Hands-on experience providing support to Engineers, i.e. troubleshooting failed builds, troubleshooting dev/qa/prod issues.
- Bachelor’s degree
(Don’t have them all? Don’t worry. We’ll help you develop the right skills for the job)
- 8+ years’ of experience in software development
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or a Master’s Degree in Software Engineering
About Capital One Canada.
We’ve been helping millions of Canadians for over 20 years by providing them with access to credit when others wouldn’t. We’re on a journey to put our customers first, and keep them there, by building modern technology solutions to simplify and humanize the world of credit cards. We have the positive energy of a startup, with the advantages of a big company.
Capital One Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants and will meet the needs of those requiring reasonable accommodations.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at [email protected]. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We Are
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
APPLY FOR THESE ALSO: